+ Reply to Thread
    ESCO is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Wahoo's New Years Resolution 5k 2010

One inevitable problem that you're going to encounter with having a New Year's Resolution 5k at 6pm, on December 31st, is the possibility of it being cold. This year, cold would be an understatement. My car was telling me it was 3 degrees when I arrived to pick up my race packet.

Registration was held inside Denver South's high school, which made for a nice staging area and gave runners a reprieve from the cold weather. Runners received a white long sleeved t-shirt. The shirt is nice and it's also great that there are no advertisements on the back of the shirt.

The race course utilized the standard Wash Park 5k loop and a half. Since the race started in the dark, they had lights at the start and finish of the race. The roads inside the park had been plowed, however they were still snow packed and icy, no fault of the race.

The race started on time and the MC made sure to count down in minutes to the start of the race. Starting on time was crucial and a big kudos to the race organizers for starting at 6pm.

At the finish of the race water was provided and that was all. Back at the high school more refreshments and Wahoo's was being offered up to the runners.

In general, I'm not a huge fan of 5ks at Wash Park but it's nice to do something different and a New Year's Resolution run makes it unique. I've run this year two times before and would recommend it. The one area of grumbling that I heard was that the race only times the first 100 finishers. I'm sure the race does this to cut cost, but this race is established enough that they should be offering timing to everyone who races. I think this was amplified in 2010 as runners wanted to be reconized with a time for running in 3 degree weather but they do not appear in the results if they finished outside of the top 100.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails imag0024.jpg