+ Reply to Thread
    ESCO is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Scream Scram 5K 2011 - Denver, CO

Considering there is a 5K in Wash. Park about every weekend of the year, I generally don't have a lot of interest in running a 5K at Wash. Park. However, the Scream Scram 5K is a unique event and one that I have run three or four times over the last five years. The Scream Scram benefited the Boys and Girls Club of Denver.

What I love about the event is that it's held during the week and started at 6pm, combine that with a thousand plus runners in costume and you've got an A+ event. Another given at the Scream Scram is a top notch t-shirt, this year's shirt was no different (see attachment) it's got a great design, glows in the dark and is a soft cotton, fitted shirt.

Prior to the 5K there was a costume contest and a kids' fun run, where the kids in costume do a quick dash, my six year old daughter competed in the race. I do have one complaint on the kids' run, the race was probably less than 50 meters, the kids run out to a cone and then come back to the start and it was chaotic to say the least. It would be nice if they could make it at least a 1/4 of a mile for the kids and that would also make it easier for the parents who wish to take photos.

The 5K used the standard Wash. Park 5K loop, which was 1 and 1/2 loops around the park. The race started on time, was chipped timed and well facilitated. After the race there were tons of drinks, food from Noodles and other snacks. The Scream Scram has a great vibe and a really fun atmosphere and is one of the reasons why I look forward to running this race ever year.

The race was also competitive with the overall male and female winner receiving a free plane ticket on Southwest Airlines, second place taking home an Xbox Kinect and third place winning $150 Jiffy Lube gift card. However, NONE of these fantastic prizes were advertised. There were a few runners who knew about the prizes because they were given out last year, but for the most part no one knew about these prizes. I'm certain that the field would have been even deeper had the prizes been advertised or simply announced on their website. Seems like a waste to gather those stellar prizes and not even use them for marketing.

Overall, I loved this race and it's probably the only 5K in Wash. Park that I will consistently run in the future. Well done Scream Scram. Photos here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails imag0289.jpg