+ Reply to Thread
    ESCO is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Lyons River Run 5k 2009 - Lyons, Colorado

The Lyons River Run 5k took place in Lyons, Colorado. Proceeds from the Lyons River Run 5K are used for local youth sports scholarships and to help support the Lyons Tree Board. Registration was $17 with t-shirt and $12 without t-shirt for those who registered early. Timing was conventional, using the bib pull tag method. Race day registration was $5 more with or without t-shirt. The t-shirt was sort of an off white color, ok design, sort of reminded me of South Park with the lumpy rocks, not sure if that is a good or bad thing though.

The Lyons 5k attracted some top local talent. The men's and women's runners receive $150 in cash. That's not what brought out the fast runners, it's more so that fast runners tend to attract other fast runners and for some reason fast runners flock to the Lyons River Run 5k.

The race started in downtown Lyons, a town with a population of 2k people. Packet pick up was easy and everything appeared to be well organized, they also had an adequate number of port-o-lets. The start/finish line was rather simple, with a large banner strung across the street, connected to two telephone poles.

The race started at 8am promptly. The first mile of the course had a handful of turns but was run on city streets, thus runners had plenty of room to maneuver. After the first mile the runners made a large loop in a parking lot, completing a large circle. The loop in the parking lot was a bit cumbersome, however it might be what they have to do in order to start and finish the race in the same location. The race then continued in a residential area and there was a water stop right before mile two. The final mile was the most difficult. Not only because the last mile was mostly uphill, but the race also moved from city streets to a gravel (finely crushed) bike path, that featured numerous turns that were difficult to negotiate when running fast. The final quarter mile was downhill, with runners having to make a 90 degree turn onto a bridge before running to the finish.

The course was decent, but not great. All of the miles were marked and the course was well marked. However, they could really improve this race by changing up the last mile, keeping the race on city streets, would in turn create a faster course and a more pleasant running experience.

At the finish, there was a good variety of snacks and water. However, they did run out of bottled water about an hour after the race had started and I heard a few runners complaining about the race having no water when they finished. However, the race was inexpensive and I thought the post race refreshments were more than adequate with the exception of a possible lack of water.

I enjoyed the Lyons River Run 5k. Mostly because of the small town vibe and all of the fast runners that showed up. The race also brought in an old Fire Truck and parked it near the start, the kids loved playing on the truck, a great idea!

The course could use some fine turning, mostly on the last mile, to help make it a great event and if they could eliminate a few of those turns it would be beneficial. Otherwise, everything went well, I look forward to running this race again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lyons_river_run_5k_elevation_profile.jpg   lyons-river-run-5k-course-map.jpg   lyons-river-run-shirt.jpg  

jmock is offline Administrator

Looks like the above poster beat me to this, so some of this may be duplicative, but hereís what I thought -

The Lyons River Run 5K was Sunday, June 28. The long-time race is part of the 4-race Boulder County Series that also includes the Sunrise Stampede 10K (Longmont), Joe Coltonís Off-Road Adventure Run 10/15 Miler (Rollinsville), and the Eldorado Springs Cure 4 Miler. Scratch that, it appears that the Eldorado Springs Cure 4 Miler has been replaced by the Neder Nederland 5K/10K. With declining numbers the past few years, itís doubtful that the Eldo race will be held this year.

Going into the race, it was apparent to me that the Lyons race could really benefit from a better webpage. I had to click clear through to the Active.com registration page to see what time the race started and where I needed to be. There just isnít a ton of info available on their webpage and that could easily be improved. Put a map up, link to past results, etc. The webpage does show the logo of the sponsors and there are tons. Registration was super cheap at just $12 pre-race, $15 if you wanted a cotton shirt included. The shirt was a light tan color with color graphics on the front and sponsor logos on the back. Packet pick-up was a breeze. Parking was plentiful. Portoilets and bathrooms in a visitors center were available.

I was not really a fan of the course. It winds all over the place, both sides of the creek, through neighborhoods, some 22 turns, including one little loop-di-do around the high schoolís parking lot. There were parts road, concrete, and gravel. If I could change one thing, it would be to take out some of the turns and try to create either a giant loop or a better out-and-back. The first mile marker was too small and I missed it. I caught the mile 2 marker, but question if it was placed accurately. There wasnít a mile 3 marker. There was a water stop at the halfway point.

The race was timed by Benji and Aimee Durden, no chip timing then. With 566 finishers, Benji, Aimee, and crew competently manned the chutes and had results up online on the Boulder Road Runners webpage within a few hours. Iím always pleased with their work. I also got an email with my results not long after the race. 566 finishers Ė the race was pretty big then for a regular ole 5K. It was part of the Lyons Good Old Days Festival for the weekend, although Iím not sure what else the festival involved. Post-race, there were tons of free items Ė trial size sunscreen, Honey Stinger gel, tea bags, Lara Bars, Clif Bars, pretzels, fruit roll-up things, lots of takeaways.

Awards were $150 for the overall win and medals for age group winners.

The Lyons River Run was a good way to spend a Sunday morning then. The unique setting in smalltown Lyons made the race way better than the usual 5K around Wash Park or City Park in Denver, the CU Research Park in Boulder, or at the Boulder Res.